Our Commitment to Environmental Sustainability
At Martz, “going green” is much more than just a concept. As a transportation company serving people in communities along the East Coast, Martz is totally committed to reducing our carbon footprint wherever possible — and helping to preserve our environment for generations to come. We’re proud of the following achievements, and rest assured, we’ll continue to seek ways to go even greener.
- Upgraded our coaches with newer, more fuel-efficient and cleaner-burning engines.
- Train drivers in safer, more fuel-efficient driving habits.
- Review and adjust schedules to maximize ridership and minimize the number of vehicles on the road daily.
- Set speed limit on coaches at 65 mph with monitoring and alerts.
- Minimize coach idling through computerized monitoring/alerts and shutdown settings.
- Equip coaches with pre-heaters for reduced idling in cold weather.
- Use clean fuels.
- Use high-quality motor oil, which reduces friction and wear on internal parts.
- Analyze oil with a state-of-the-art emission control system.
- Run high-mileage, low-friction tires, which we regularly balance and monitor with a high-tech system to ensure proper air inflation — all combining to prolong tire life and increase fuel efficiency.
- Clean coaches daily, which decreases drag from dirt and grime and reduces fuel consumption.
- Recycle tire casings to dealer for capping for other users.
- Reuse waste oil, transmission and differential fluids and accept waste oil from employees to heat our shop.
- Recycle used oil filters.
- Recycle cleaning solutions.
- Use waste oil separators on shop discharge water and clean regularly.
- Recycle all scrap metal.
- Recycle outdated computer equipment.
- Shred outdated documents.
- Recycle cardboard boxes from parts receiving.
- Separate and recycle glass and plastic in our office and from our coaches.
- Use waterless urinals in our shops.
- Use environmentally friendly peroxide cleaners for coach interiors.
- Exchange coach batteries for casing credits on new purchases.
Shop and Offices
- Perform semi-annual maintenance on all HVAC units.
- Replaced metal and plastic garage doors with lightweight, well-insulated doors.
- Scrub floors in shop with enzymes, not harsh chemicals, to break down oil.
- Wash and dry coach-cleaning rags in house, reducing paper usage.
- Use energy-efficient fluorescent and LED lighting with motion detectors in shop, offices and storage areas.
- Use photocells and timers on shop and washbay doors.
- Use lock boxes on all thermostats.